Particular Plan of the TOWN and FORT of ST. PHILIP [on plate with] A DRAUGHT of the TOWN and HARBOUR of MAHON with ST. PHILIP'S FORT and Its FORTIFICATIONS
Top map includes engraved references a-t. Bottom map with title and 5 lines of engraved text. On page 11 of the volume begins an account of the island: "A plan of St. Philip's Castle with its accompanying town, and another smaller scale plan along with the strategically important harbour and the town of Mahon, in Minorca, one of the Balearic Islands". The explanatory legend details the castle's fortifications, while soundings and coastlines are shown for the harbour. A description of the work sits below the map. engraved on map are various important structures: Nunnery, Victualing Office for the navy, Product House, Mast house, Quarantine Island, The New Road, and Navel Hospital. Fortifications are detailed as are vegetation, buildings, fathom depths, and pathways.
Each map has a scale bar in furlongs, and no graticule is present in the map; the scale is calculated from the map's scale bar, and the coordinates were obtained via georeferencing and pertain to the map of the harbour.
2 maps on 1 sheet : 12 x 26 and 13 x 26 cm
4.227; 4.328; 39.836; 39.906
W. K. Morrison Special Collection
v.1., April 1756, opposite pg. 1
This material is provided for research, education and private use only. Commercial use of this work is strictly prohibited. Attribution for use must be provided as follows: "Digital reproduction from the W. K. Morrison Special Collection of the J. B. Hall Library at the NSCC Centre of Geographic Sciences” and link to the original record. For use other than research, education or private uses please contact the J. B. Hall Library at the NSCC Centre of Geographic Sciences.