View of PORT ROYAL and KINGSTON HARBOUR in the Island of JAMAICA
This illustration is taken from Edward Long's 'The History of Jamaica,' and depicts the harbours of Port and Kingston. During the 17th century Port Royal flourished and was the principal Spanish trading port but it was later devastated by an earthquake in 1692, a fire in 1703 and a hurricane in 1722. Eventually the town was abandoned and Spanish Town became the island's capital (until 1872, when it transferred to Kingston). Kingston harbour was considered the most beautiful in the world at this time. A view of the Port Royal/Kingston, Jamaica harbour viewed from its entrance to the south. From this vantage, Port Royal appears possibly on top of the water, and the tombolo forming the Palisadoes seem incredibly narrow, possibly due to the earthquake of 1692.
Coordinates refer to center point to which the image is referenced in right-reading.
1 map view ; 15 x 22 cm
W. K. Morrison Special Collection
v.1 September 1782, opposite pg.. 210.
This material is provided for research, education and private use only. Commercial use of this work is strictly prohibited. Attribution for use must be provided as follows: "Digital reproduction from the W. K. Morrison Special Collection of the J. B. Hall Library at the NSCC Centre of Geographic Sciences” and link to the original record. For use other than research, education or private uses please contact the J. B. Hall Library at the NSCC Centre of Geographic Sciences.