SURREY, drawn from late SURVEYS by R. W. Seale
A map of the county of Surrey by Seale using an alphabetized legend for the ancient system of hundreds. More roads are shown at a larger scale on this map compared to Bowen's work, including a rendering of the coat of arms of the county's principal settlement, but otherwise many of the conventions stay the same with the addition of gentleman's seats and how many members of parliament are sent by the county. A keyed Explanation is located in the bottom right corner. An elaborate and detailed Arms of Guilford is placed at top of map. The arms is framed by an elaborate cartouche. The arms include a depiction of a large crenellation castle complete with drawn gate, two emblems, and a lion. Landscapes are pictorially presented to include town buildings, parks, cartways and pathways.
The scale bar is in English miles, and London is used for the prime meridian. The scale and coordinates were calculated using the map's scale bar and graticule.
1 map ; 18 x 22 cm
-3.000; 0.739; 51.043; 51.575
W. K. Morrison Special Collection
v. 25 August 1759, opposite pg. 57
This material is provided for research, education and private use only. Commercial use of this work is strictly prohibited. Attribution for use must be provided as follows: "Digital reproduction from the W. K. Morrison Special Collection of the J. B. Hall Library at the NSCC Centre of Geographic Sciences” and link to the original record. For use other than research, education or private uses please contact the J. B. Hall Library at the NSCC Centre of Geographic Sciences.