PLAN of the NAVIGABLE CANAL, now making from the City of COVENTRY, to Communicate with the Grand Canal upon FRADLEY HEATH, in the COUNTY of STAFFORD. Survey'd in 1767
A plan of the canal connecting Coventry to the Grand Canal connecting the rivers Trent and Mersey. A note is at the bottom centre describing the canal's completeness. Attractive map of this canal traveling through the towns of Tamworth, Polesworth, Atherstone, Nun Eaton to Coventry with all the points of interest along the way. Decorative title cartouche and compass rose. Light hatching is used to show topography on the western shore, and the cartouche has a sylvan motif. Warwickshire is especially made prominent through its large curved font, something not too often seen on these plans. Details are the canal system are tabled in the bottom right corner. Churches/cathedrals are drawn along the canal, and small trees are used to generalized forest cover.
The scale was calculated from the map's scale bar, and the coordinates were derived via georeferencing. This plan is a good candidate for rubbersheeting as it does not match well with a GIS.
1 map ; 18 x 33 cm
-1.892; 1.316; 52.789; 52.369
W. K. Morrison Special Collection
v.41, June 1771, opposite pg.241
This material is provided for research, education and private use only. Commercial use of this work is strictly prohibited. Attribution for use must be provided as follows: "Digital reproduction from the W. K. Morrison Special Collection of the J. B. Hall Library at the NSCC Centre of Geographic Sciences” and link to the original record. For use other than research, education or private uses please contact the J. B. Hall Library at the NSCC Centre of Geographic Sciences.