MAP OF PHILADELPHIA and Parts Adjacent, By N. Scull and G. Heap
N. ScullG. Heap
Scull and Heap's map was originally published in Philadelphia in 1752 by Nicolas Scull. Scull was the first member of an American family to engage in cartography as a business. Apart from his map of Philadelphia, he is also well known for his general map of the province of Pennsylvania, the first of the province to be printed on the North American continent. As a guide, in the lower right hand quadrant there is placed a table of The Distances of particular Places, in this Map; from the Court Houfe. Take note of the entry Merion Meeting N.W. which is identified as being located at 7 miles and 5 furlongs (a surveyors furlong is equal to 660 feet in length). The table of distances below the cartouche has been deleted and new names and roads added. An English map displaying Philadelphia and surrounding area. The city proper is generalized into a street grid, while surrounding farms are labelled by family. A cannon battery resides just south of the city at the entrance of the shipping channel of the Delaware River.
Coordinates were derived via georeferencing, and the scale was calculated from the map's scale bar.
1 map ; 34 x 29 cm
-75.2564; -75.059; 39.854; 40.066
W. K. Morrison Special Collection
v.47, December 1777, opposite pg. 573
This material is provided for research, education and private use only. Commercial use of this work is strictly prohibited. Attribution for use must be provided as follows: "Digital reproduction from the W. K. Morrison Special Collection of the J. B. Hall Library at the NSCC Centre of Geographic Sciences” and link to the original record. For use other than research, education or private uses please contact the J. B. Hall Library at the NSCC Centre of Geographic Sciences.