NSCC W. K. Morrison Special Collection

This Collection was donated to NSCC COGS by Walter Morrison, Cartographer Emeritus of COGS who was interested in antique maps as an illustration of the evolution of map making technology. It is a mixed media print collection of historical maps, atlases, periodicals and books that is focused on the early mapping of Atlantic Canada and specifically Nova Scotia. There are over 2000 items in the print collection; we invite you to follow us as we grow our digital collection.


Pages

A Plan of the Town and Harbour of MAHON, &c.
A Plan of the Town and Harbour of MAHON, &c.
A plan of the city of Mahón on Minorca Island located in present day Spain. A lettered key explained on page247. A major British naval base at the time, important buildings, fortifications, and natural features are described by the legend in the accompanying text, along with the road built by Brigadier General Richard Kane; St. Philip's Castle and Town figure prominently at the mouth of one of the best natural harbours in the British Empire. Hatching is done both on land and for shallow water, and is differentiated a heavy light weight along the coast, and slightly different hatching patterns. Small vignettes of trees, windmills, churches, and farmhouses are present throughout the land., The scale bar is in English miles, and there is no graticule; the scale was calculated from the scale bar and the coordinates were derived via georeferencing.
A Plan of the intended New ROAD, from PADINGTON to ISLINGTON
A Plan of the intended New ROAD, from PADINGTON to ISLINGTON
Plan showing Berkeley Square and Grosvenor Square are shown at the bottom left, with the offices of a number of important companies listed. All dotted lines indicated new road proposal. References are alphabetically keyed., Street map of London, England. Prime Meridian is unknown due to lack of information and graticule. There is one scale bar on the map, represented in Feet. There is a legend on the bottom left side of the map, indicating places of importance, Map reads with North facing to the top and slightly to the right.
A Profile of the River Thames from Boulters Lock to Mortlake. Taken in 1770
A Profile of the River Thames from Boulters Lock to Mortlake. Taken in 1770
"Detailed plan with detailed indications of elevation of the surface of the water and the bed of the river. A profile of the River Thames from Boulter's Lock to Mortlake. Boulters Lock, located alongside the bustling river was formerly called Ray Mill Lock, after the adjacent mill owned by the Ray family who produced flour. The first documented records show that there was a flash lock here in the 17th century. It built up a head of water to power the mills and a section of the weir would be moved to allow boats and barges through. A wooden pound lock was built here in 1770. In times past, about 70,000 tons of cargo would pass through the lock every year., Elevation eastward from Boulter's Lock and the depth of the river are plotted together in feet on the y-axis; the length of the traversed river is plotted in miles subdivided into furlongs on the x-axis. An interesting component of this from a data visualization angle is the use of grid lines subdivided into tenths and numbered inside of the 2 axes, but only for the relevant data along the river. This image cannot be georeferenced as it shows only a cross section of the river modeled as a straight line.
A SOUTH VIEW OF THE CITY OF GENOA
A SOUTH VIEW OF THE CITY OF GENOA
There is an extensive legend (called references) of locations in the city., As a map view, or bird's eye view, the scale changes across the map. For these views, we use a single point of reference. In this case we used the Lighthouse (#14 in the legend) as it is still standing.
A SYSTEM OF GEOGRAPHY, FOR THE USE OF SCHOOLS, ILLUSTRATED WITH MORE THAN FIFTY CEOGRAPHIC MAPS, AND NUMEROUS WOOD-CUT ENGRAVINGS
A SYSTEM OF GEOGRAPHY, FOR THE USE OF SCHOOLS, ILLUSTRATED WITH MORE THAN FIFTY CEOGRAPHIC MAPS, AND NUMEROUS WOOD-CUT ENGRAVINGS
According to the preface, the 1844 edition of Morse's School Geography was the first produced after a 16 year hiatus from the original publication run from 1784-1828 by the author's father. The 1851 edition explicitly states it uses 1850 US Census figures. There is also effort to update international boundaries between editions with the 1851 edition showing the result of the Oregon Treaty (1846) establishing the 49th parallel as the boundary between Canada and the US west of the Rocky Mountains.
A VIEW of Antient CARLISLE, as represented in a Plate above 100 Years old
A VIEW of Antient CARLISLE, as represented in a Plate above 100 Years old
The prime meridian is unknown due to lack of information and graticule. There is no scale bar represented on the map; scale was determined by measuring the distance from the "Castle" represented as A in the legend, to "St Cuthberts" Church, represented as C in the legend. Map reads with North facing to the top of the map.
A VIEW of NIAGARA FORT, taken by Sir William Johnson, on the 25th of July 1759, Drawn on the Spot in 1758
A VIEW of NIAGARA FORT, taken by Sir William Johnson, on the 25th of July 1759, Drawn on the Spot in 1758
A near perpendicular view of Fort Niagara, now a historical state park on the American side of the river at its mouth flowing into Lake Ontario. The French first established a post here in 1679, but the fortification became permanent only in 1726. The British laid siege to it in July of 1759, and after 19 days the French commander surrendered to the British commander Sir William Johnson. The British occupied it until it was ceded to the United States by the Jay treaty in 1796. It was recaptured by the British in 1813 and again ceded to the U.S. in 1815 at the end of the War of 1812.Image placed horizontally on page., A near perpendicular view of Fort Niagara, now a historical state park on the American side of the river at its mouth flowing into Lake Ontario. Coordinates are for a point centered on the current position of the fort.
A VIEW of the Town and CASTLE of ST. AUGUSTINE, and the ENGLISH CAMP before it June 20.1740
A VIEW of the Town and CASTLE of ST. AUGUSTINE, and the ENGLISH CAMP before it June 20.1740
This maps changes perspective from a map view at the top to more of a coastal view at the bottom. It is accompanied by text describing the siege., Because of the map perspective, the coordinates are approximate.
A complete CHART of the COAST of FRANCE, from Ostend, to Cape Finisterra, including the opposite Coast, of the BRITISH CHANNEL
A complete CHART of the COAST of FRANCE, from Ostend, to Cape Finisterra, including the opposite Coast, of the BRITISH CHANNEL
Map depicts the most north western part of France detailing the Bay of Biscay and The Channel coastlines. Part of Flanders, Holland, and England are located in the topmost part of the map. A partial coastline of Iceland appears in the top left corner., Map of Bay of Biscay, off the coast of France. Prime Meridian is London. Map reads with North facing to the top of the map. Scale was determined by measuring between a degree of latitude.
A plan of the Towns, Cittadel and Port of DUNKIRK, before its Demolition
A plan of the Towns, Cittadel and Port of DUNKIRK, before its Demolition
A plan of the town, citadel, and port, jetties, and port fortresses of Dunkirk before their demolition in accordance with the terms of the Treaty of Utrecht of 1713. The port and fortifications were a masterwork of military engineering, and the northern anchor of Vauban's Pré Carré. The jetties ran about a kilometre out to sea from the town to block the silt build-up, but were vulnerable to attack, thus the forts and castles shown in the plan were built for their protection. As a fortress, Dunkirk formed the northern anchor of the first line of Vauban's Pré Carré, a system of fortresses protecting northern France from attack. As a naval harbour, Dunkirk provided a valuable base for naval ships and privateers operating in the English Channel, an area where France had few good harbours. Only scant traces of the fortifications and port facilities survive to this day. Numbers are explained in the accompanying text beginning on page 228., The scale bar is in fathoms, and the work has no graticule; the scale was calculated from the scale bar, and the coordinates were obtained via georeferencing. Due to the extensive changes in the landscape, the georeferencing is slightly uncertain.
A view of the Bay of SANTERINI, with a BURNING ISLAND, which lately rose out of the sea
A view of the Bay of SANTERINI, with a BURNING ISLAND, which lately rose out of the sea
Map of Santorini Bay, Greece. The burning island was created by volcanic action. Shoals, trees, and some buildings are depicted., Map of Santorini Bay. Prime Meridian is unknown due to lack of information and graticule. Map reads with North facing to the bottom of the map. Map was georeferenced with data acquired from USGS's Earth Explorer.
AIX LA CHAPELLE
AIX LA CHAPELLE
Detailed plan of the Aix includes vegetation in garden plots, foliage between hedgerows, moats, and fortress walls, churches, gates, and hospital. Key to numbers on map is located within the text of the volume. Of note: a white marble church built by Charlemagne is indicated. The Treaty of Aix La Chalelle ended the War of the Austrian Succession in 1748 where Great Britain and France dictated the terms. The city is now called "Aachen" located in Luxembourg., Map of AIX LA CHAPELLE, or in English Aachen, the most western town in Germany. The prime meridian is unknown due to lack of information and graticule.
ALGIERS, and Parts Adjacent
ALGIERS, and Parts Adjacent
Map detailing fortifications of Algiers and surrounding area. Cartouche contains alpha key to map locations including: The Cassaubah, The New Gate, Babzoune, The Fishers Gate, The Mole Gate, The Gate of the River, and Country Seats. Two birds are illustrated: Boo-ank and Hou-baara., Map located on the North coast of Africa. Illustration of the Boo-ank & the Hou-baara birds. Map reads with North facing to the right of the map. Prime Meridian is unknown
AMÉRIQUE SEPTENTRIONALE PUBLIÉE SOUS LE AUSPICES DE MONSEIGNEUR LE DUC DORLEANS PRÉMIER PRINCE DU SANG PAR LE SR. D'ANVILLE
AMÉRIQUE SEPTENTRIONALE PUBLIÉE SOUS LE AUSPICES DE MONSEIGNEUR LE DUC DORLEANS PRÉMIER PRINCE DU SANG PAR LE SR. D'ANVILLE
Inset of the eastern Arctic. The map was engraved by D'Anville's brother Hubert-François, who was commonly known as Gravelot and the cartouche by Thomas Major, an English engraver who spent the early years of his career in France., Prime Meridian is Ferro. On the North sheet, map is heavily distorted on the west coast and does not georeference well. The South sheet georeferences much better being that much closer to the equator. There are 7 scale bars on the lower sheet.
AN ACCURATE MAP of IRELAND divided in PROVINCES and COUNTIES, with Its Great and Bye Roads, Loughs, Rivers, Canals &c. &c.
AN ACCURATE MAP of IRELAND divided in PROVINCES and COUNTIES, with Its Great and Bye Roads, Loughs, Rivers, Canals &c. &c.
Map of Ireland divided into its 4 provinces by different colours outlining the borders and further subdivided into their respective counties. Major roads are shown using hollow double lines, and bye-roads with single lines of a lighter lineweight than what is used for rivers. Fishing banks within St. Georges Channel and the Irish Sea are shown, along with light relief. J. Gary Scuip. noted below simple medallion title. Nymph Bank noted as discovered in 1735 by Captain Doyle., The scale bar is in Irish miles, and the graticule uses London as its prime meridian; the scale was calculated from the scale bar and the coordinates from the map's graticule.

Pages